Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Carving whimsical spoons


Like a lot of my carving friends on the Woodcarving Illustrated message board, I've been on a spoon carving marathon lately. I used basswood scraps 7" long X 1-3/8" wide X 1/2" deep. I didn't do any spoon in one sitting and just pulled them out on the whim and let the designs invent themselves. Now that is what I refer to as relaxing carving!




I think that my favorite one is the "Womble family". The one with the long red and turquoise hat is a cross between a wizard, circus clown, and Dr. Seuss... so how's that for whimsical?!? I won't be using these spoons to eat my cereal tomorrow morning as they are more in the "decorative" folk art category.

I used thinned acrylic paints and polyurethane for the finish.



3 comments:

  1. Wow! Your carvings are awesome. You seem very talented. Love the wizard spoon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much and I'm glad that you liked them. They were a blast to carve!

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, you’re such an inspiration. I love this blog!
    A asian soup spoons is a type of spoon with a large or rounded bowl, used for eating soup.

    ReplyDelete