Sunday, June 7, 2009

My feature woodcarving article!

Wood Carving Illustrated, Summer 2009 issue

I still have to pinch myself when I open up the summer issue of Wood Carving Illustrated magazine. It's hard to believe that I was published in a magazine that I've been a loyal subscriber to since issue #2 and most of all I was proud to appear in the same magazine that has showcased such pros over the years as Tom Wolfe, Ian Norbury, E.J. Tangerman, Mike Shipley, Lora Irish, and so many other accomplished carvers that would take a small booklet to mention them all. While I don't acclaim to have achieved a level of carving perfection as those mentioned, I have developed my own level of expertise which mainly has it's foundation laid in a love for teaching kids how to discover the joys of carving.

I sure hope that you enjoy the article which centers around the teaching methods that I've used over the last nearly 30 years helping at-risk kids learn to carve. You can get a glimpse of the article here: http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/issue47/Sharing-the-Joy-of-Carving-Wood.php but they've been available at the newsstand since May 26th.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the article! It's a great thing that you're doing, getting these kids involved in something that can give them confidence and skills, and that will be with them for the rest of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the current issue of WCI you have a picture of a Slip Bark Whistle. In the picture it looks like the chamber has been drilled out, was it? If not how do you have so much material surrounding the sound chamber. The ones I do only have the bark surrounding the sound chamber so when it dries out the whistle is no longer any good. I make these for my nephew when we go hiking and neighborhood children when I can but they don't last, just looking for some help.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete