Monday, April 26, 2010

Rustic Furniture: A Podium For Camp Raven Knob

One of my favorite occupations ever since the 1970's has been making rustic furniture of all kinds. It's organic, it's natural, and it creates an aesthetic and authentic atmosphere for any room.

About ten years ago I built the podium seen to the right although it has been in storage and out of use for about 3 or 4 years. Using mortise and tenon joinery it remains strong as an ox! Just this last weekend I completed a total re-furbishing of the podium which also included the addition of a new identification sign hanging on the front side that will compliment it's new home.
It has been my goal to finish it in time for Order of the Arrow Spring Fellowship at Camp Raven Knob in May. This is a continuation of my "service to others" oath as part of my OA membership.

As seen in the close-up picture to the left I made the "feet" from splitting a nice seasoned piece of eastern red cedar. It almost looks like it's walking on the floor. I made the two legs and braces from sycamore which the kids in woodshop sometime refer to as camouflage-wood because of it's multi-colored bark. The top of the podium is made from solid mahogany so that rich red luster of a shine is the real thing!

As seen in the pictures to the right I also made an identification sign to hang from the front that mainly identifies Camp Raven Knob but also our own Boy Scout Troop 555. On the bottom side of the sign I also made an Order of the Arrow- arrow that identifies our Lodge 118.

It is my intention to present this rustic podium at Spring Fellowship next month as a permanent fixture in the Scoutmaster's lounge. The Scoutmaster's lounge is the site for a lot of top level meetings and presentations that have included congressional members and governors. I think that it will be a great addition and helps me to feel worthy of my OA oath of, "service to others."

2 comments:

  1. This is really beautiful! I love rustic furniture and you are really awesome at making it. I explored your website with your travel adventures, and although I didn't get through all of (I'm saving some for later :), what I did read was amazing. I loved the sections about your cabins that you built and your time in Alaska. Someone needs to write a book about you, Dave! Have you ever thought about writing a book about your many adventures?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for so many kind words Jessica. I just decided at a very early age in my life that I didn't want to have any regrets when the time for departing this life comes. So far I feel that I've been blessed with a very fulfilled life as a result from following my own dreams and my heart, no matter how obscure they appeared in the minds of others.

    As for a book, I really haven't had time to think about it. For now I'm very content to just share my experiences via the internet in the hopes of inspiring others to follow their own dreams. That's an uncomfortable risk for most people but deep happiness is usually found under the crust and not in the icing.

    ReplyDelete