Sunday, July 5, 2009

WIP-Part 1: Carving a Mini Greenman

WIP= "Work In Progress"

Finally I'm back to working on a new or better yet, a semi-new project since I started it a while back then put it down for almost a year. I make these little faces from the scrap pieces of wood that I cut off of my walking sticks and you can find a whole variety of them that I posted on the Wood Carving Illustrated message board at: Mini-Greenman from walking stick scraps

When completed this little greenman will stand about 4" tall and I'm carving it from a piece of laurel that I cut off one of my walking sticks some time back. So far I've got the face mostly roughed out but there's still going to be a lot of smoothing up those initial cuts but I'll get to that after the enclosing oak leaves are roughed in. Right now I've got the bottom two leaves roughed out and will begin on the top two leaves next. I decided that this little fellow would have a little expression with some teeth to boot. These little carvings are a lot of fun but like anything that is small there must be a lot of attention to the detail and this is the type of carving that I do best when there aren't any distractions around but that's a hard thing to come by in my busy life so this little fellow might take a while to finish up.

2 comments: